Kentucky - KYU # Number

We are licensed and registered with the state of Kentucky to process applications for new KYU numbers.

Special Notice

You are now required to complete the UCR registration for the year in which you first obtained your USDOT number regardless of when your MC number became or will become active. As an example, you filed for and obtained your new USDOT & MC numbers on December 31, 2020. Even though you did not start operations until 2021, you must also complete the 2020 UCR due to your USDOT number being issued in 2020. This is a policy change from previous years and there are no exceptions.

It will take 1-2 days, and can take longer, for the KY registration system to upload new UCR registration(s). This may cause a delay in obtaining your KYU if you just completed your UCR registration.

If you travel through the state of Kentucky, in a commercial vehicle (private and/or for-hire), with a registered GVWR of 60,000 lbs or more, you will need a KYU # or you will need to buy a temporary KYU permit. Currently, a ten-day temporary permit will cost you approximately $46.00 and can be obtained directly from KY.

The KYU number issued by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is a permanent weight distance tax license, no yearly renewals. Kentucky does require that you maintain a vehicle inventory for your KYU number. All trucks will need to be listed on your KYU number inventory and must be added or deleted as your trucks change. You will also need to complete quarterly returns based on the miles traveled in the state of KY.


State, Other Permits and Registrations

Kentucky KYU # Registration

Includes application and our processing fees to obtain your UCR registration. The cost of the UCR registration is based on the number of trucks that operate interstate (outside your home state).

To obtain your KYU #, you must have the following:

  • UCR registration completed for all years of operation, past and present.
  • USDOT number must be active.
  • I will need the full information for the truck(s) included license plate number(s).



This application is for a new KYU number. If you previously had a KYU number, you will need to call the Kentucky tax division at 502-564-4150 to reinstate your old KYU number. If you need a 10 day temporary permit, please call 502-564-4127.

If we receive your application by 2:00 PM EST, Mon-Fri, and your UCR registrations, USDOT, MC and IFTA filings are up to date,we can have your KYU number the same day usually within 30 minutes. Times stated above are not guaranteed, delays are possible. is a private 3rd party company, we are not the USDOT or affiliated with any government agency.


7198 E Fouch Rd.
Traverse City, MI   49684

Call: (231) 947-5573 Fax: (231) 947-5662